Advertising is one of the oldest businesses in the world. It provides a lucrative method of monetising broadcast services at low-to-no cost to viewers. Hybrid solutions for content distribution naturally provide content owners with a platform to monetise video across big screen applications, by leveraging advertising and other means. In this keynote, part of the program for the 10th HbbTV Symposium and Awards held in Prague on 9-10 November 2022, Ashley Horne – Simplestream’s Technical Director – provides a thorough overview of the set of HbbTV solutions as part of the company’s suite of products.
The focus is on multiple monetisation models. In particular, the conversation focuses on the following topical questions:
- What can broadcasters and content owners do to improve their profitability in the HbbTV space?
- Why is the industry drifting back towards the linear-like distribution of content with monetisation through ad insertion?
- What are the differences between server-side and client-side ad insertion, and how can these models work in the HbbTV space?
- How can service providers monitor their users’ data to achieve bigger engagement objectives?
- What other means of monetisation are made possible for HbbTV operators?
Watch the keynote in full below.