The way we watch TV is changing!
Simplestream is an award-winning provider of video streaming solutions to some of the largest players in the media industry. We build Next Generation TV services for broadcasters, sports federations and media companies using our in-house video workflow, service layer and app framework.
Our clients include UKTV, Sony, A+E Networks, AMC, Channel 4 and QVC to name a few. They rely on us to stream over 200 live TV channels and millions of on-demand programmes worldwide.
We are a well-funded and growing business with a start-up mentality seeking to hire the best talent.
As a Mid-level PHP Developer, you will work within our CMS team, responsible for the on-going development of our cloud-based video platform and orchestration layer.
The type of projects you will be involved in will likely include:
- Upgrading and improving our existing video platform with new features and improved optimisations.
- Building new functionality in our White Label client solutions.
- Help build out new cutting edge video workflows.
- Developing new data services and APIs to fuel our services and platforms.
- New feature development on the company’s media and content management platform.
- API development
- Bug-fixing and improving on the platforms, databases and server configurations.
- Code reviews and mentoring of other developers.
- Provide operational and technical support for existing applications.
- Proactively test work before handing over to testers/commercial members.
- Provide guidance to others on coding approaches and principles.
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- You have at least 5 years’ demonstrable development experience in an object-orientated environment with a focus and preference of backend services
- You are comfortable refactoring older code to bring it up to date (including Zend Framework 1 and Bootstrap 4).
- You have strong experience in the following areas:
- API development and Rest Principles
- Zend Frameworks, JSON and object-orientated PHP
- Complex PHP scripting
- Server-side caching
- SQL and Database performance optimisation
- Large scale distributed application architecture
- You have an unwavering confidence when it comes to large scale distributed application architecture and development using PHP, SQL/Stored Procedures (e.g. MySQL), Nginx.
- We’ll expect you to be level-headed and able to handle working in a time pressured and sometimes stressful environment.
DESIRED CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience with streaming, video metadata and ingest.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Simplestream, we believe in providing a creative working environment where people can grow, both professionally and personally. This is exhibited in our bright, open plan office is in the heart of Piccadilly. We offer a competitive salary and a generous range of benefits:
- 25 days’ holiday
- Flexible working options (e.g. staggered start/finish times, at least 3 days a week working from home)
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Direct pension contributions
- Free lunch once a week (when in the office)
- Friday treats (when in the office)
- Fresh fruit, tea and coffee and snacks (including beer!) in the office
- When feasible, regular free employee social events (food, drinks and often some kind of activity, such as bowling, table tennis, etc.)