The way we watch TV is changing!
Simplestream is an award-winning provider of video streaming solutions to some of the largest players in the media industry. We build Next Generation TV services for broadcasters, sports federations and media companies using our in-house video workflow, service layer and app framework.
Our clients include UKTV, Sony, A+E Networks, AMC, Channel 4 and QVC to name a few. They rely on us to stream over 200 live TV channels and millions of on-demand programmes worldwide.
We are a well-funded and growing business with a start-up mentality seeking to hire the best talent.
As a member of the Engineering team, your role will be focused on the architecture and day-to-day operation of the physical and cloud-based infrastructure that underpins our industry-leading streaming platform. You will actively contribute to implementing best practice, ensuring our infrastructure is optimal in terms of performance, scalability, robustness, cost and security. You will also provide support from a DevOps perspective as required. You will be required to be included in the out-of-hours rota and respond to any P1, service-affecting issues when on-call.
This opportunity requires someone who is a self-starter, has clearly demonstrable experience working with streaming platforms and is comfortable with a wide-ranging role in a small team of client-focussed professionals. The ideal candidate will be genuinely excited about the technologies associated with the broadcast and broader media space, plus relish being challenged on a daily basis.
- Continuously nurture a close and trusted working relationship with allocated customers through regular contact (via email, phone and face-to-face meetings).
- Day-to-day setup, operation, maintenance and support of all aspects of our physical and cloud-based infrastructure.
- Actively contribute to the ongoing improvements in the efficiency, scalability, security and resilience of our streaming solutions.
- Provide technical assistance to internal teams and clients on encoding and streaming formats.
- Supporting the Development and QA teams in diagnosing any infrastructure-related issues found in our front-end applications (mobile, TV and web).
- Work with other engineers to setup and deliver customer projects.
- Participation in the out-of-hours support program.
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working in the broadcast/media sector, with a focus on OTT and streaming technology.
- Good knowledge of video encoders, codecs, packagers, DRM and associated standards.
- Strong knowledge of CDN and streaming delivery methods (e.g. HLS, DASH, etc.).
- Comfortable with technical problem-solving, debugging and resolution.
- Clear and concise communication in English via ticketing systems (e.g. Jira Service Management) and email and communications tools (e.g. Slack, Jira, Teams), both internally and clients/business partners.
- Experience of AWS tools and services, including CloudFront, S3, EC2, Load Balancers, Auto Scaling Groups, etc.
- Experience with accessing remote *nix servers via SSH and using command line tools, including creating and updating basic shell scripts, crontabs, etc.
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously to achieve agreed objectives.
- Excellent collaboration skills and flexibility to work in a small team.
- Well-organised with a methodical approach to tasks and effective time management.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Simplestream, we believe in providing a creative working environment where people can grow, both professionally and personally. This is exhibited in our bright, open plan office is in the heart of Piccadilly. We offer a competitive salary and a generous range of benefits:
- 25 days’ holiday
- Flexible working options (e.g. staggered start/finish times, at least 3 days a week working from home)
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Direct pension contributions
- Free lunch once a week (when in the office)
- Friday treats (when in the office)
- Fresh fruit, tea and coffee and snacks (including beer!) in the office
- When feasible, regular free employee social events (food, drinks and often some kind of activity, such as bowling, table tennis, etc.)