The way we watch TV is changing!
Simplestream is an award-winning provider of video streaming solutions to some of the largest players in the media industry. We build Next Generation TV services for broadcasters, sports federations and media companies using our in-house video workflow, service layer and app framework.
Our clients include UKTV, Sony, A+E Networks, AMC, Channel 4 and QVC to name a few. They rely on us to stream over 200 live TV channels and millions of on-demand programmes worldwide.
We are a well-funded and growing business with a start-up mentality seeking to hire the best talent.
As a member of the Hybrid TV development team, your role will be focused on developing, maintaining and deploying our flagship product to our customers. You will aid the team in implementing best practices, ensuring the code base is clean and maintainable. You will analyze our current Hybrid TV app to plan and implement deployment to a wide range of big screen devices.
This opportunity would suit someone who is a self-starter, has years of experience working with Smart TV technology and is comfortable working in a small team. The ideal candidate will be excited about both technology and broadcast industries and enjoy a challenge.
- Using the TAL framework to build and maintain our flagship product.
- Coordinate deployments to our AWS environment.
- Refactor and optimise code performance.
- Work with QA and the delivery teams to produce feature releases to schedule.
- Manage third party integrations that provide features like analytics and video ad serving.
- Provide technical guidance to the design team, commercial team and product owners.
- Create HTML-5 apps for Samsung, LG, PlayStation, Xbox and more.
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3 years of experience writing Vanilla JS.
- Experience in developing applications for TV (video experience preferred).
- Practical understanding of MVC and OO concepts.
- Strong debugging skills using common browser developer tools.
- Experience working with the HTML5 mediaplayer.
- Awareness of code management using GIT and GIT Flow.
- Familiarity with NodeJS and TAL.
- Good knowledge of performance and memory optimizations, proficient usage of the tools available in SDK’s and excellent debugging skills for the platforms in question.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies e.g. Scrum, TDD.
- Experience debugging and troubleshooting Smart devices.
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously to achieve agreed objectives.
- Excellent collaboration skills and flexibility to work in a small team.
- Well-organised with a methodical approach to tasks and effective time management.
- Good verbal and written communication in English.
DESIRED CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE
- Interest in learning new platforms and new technologies.
- Understanding of VOD, live streaming, and DRM, as well as experience in the TV industry (IPTV, Connected TV).
WHAT WE OFFER
At Simplestream, we believe in providing a creative working environment where people can grow, both professionally and personally. This is exhibited in our bright, open plan office is in the heart of Piccadilly. We offer a competitive salary and a generous range of benefits:
- 25 days’ holiday
- Flexible working options (e.g. staggered start/finish times, at least 3 days a week working from home)
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Direct pension contributions
- Free lunch once a week (when in the office)
- Friday treats (when in the office)
- Fresh fruit, tea and coffee and snacks (including beer!) in the office
- When feasible, regular free employee social events (food, drinks and often some kind of activity, such as bowling, table tennis, etc.)