Simplestream, a leading provider of video services for the media and entertainment industry, today announced that its Hybrid TV solution was chosen by Sony Pictures Television to power its new catch-up service on YouView. Originally launched on 10th January 2017, the service hosts shows from Sony’s popular kids channels Tiny Pop, POP and KIX.
“Kids are spending more time every week watching their favourite programming, so it is paramount that catch-up services such as this are in place to cater to their hunger for favourite programming anytime, anywhere and on any device,” said Dan Finch, Commercial Director of Simplestream. “This service is a natural extension of the products and solutions we currently offer. It’s been a pleasure working with Sony Pictures Television and YouView to deliver this entertainment destination.”
This is Simplestream’s inaugural deployment of its Hybrid TV solution: a new module of its cloud-based Media Manager platform that provides OTT-delivered linear channels, catch-up TV and other video-on-demand (VOD) content underpinned by rich metadata. The solution supports a broad range of hybrid TV services – including YouView, Freeview Play, Freesat and EE TV.
The Hybrid TV solution also incorporates:
- Automated catch-up creation to generate VOD assets from linear channels within minutes of broadcast.
- Ingest of playout schedule data to accurately capture the desired components from off-air broadcasts.
- A rules-based system to control programme availability ensuring full conformance to content rights.
- Real-time asset and metadata provision, enabling rich content discovery, such as the backwards- and forwards-scrolling EPG, text-based search, and enhanced programme information.
- Dedicated applications that provide a fully branded experience for broadcasters.
- Dynamic playlists of content that are updated automatically and presented in the applications.
The Sony Kids service is completely free to use across all YouView connected set-top boxes, including BT TV and TalkTalk TV homes.
Simplestream will be speaking at BVE 2017 and Streaming Forum from Tuesday, 28th February – Thursday, 2nd March at London ExCeL on the evolving UK OTT market and how platform deployments like this one with Sony are an important step for content providers to reach and engage new audiences.