The Vice President, Software will form a key part of the senior management team and be responsible for Simplestream’s end‐to‐end software stack, including future strategy and direction. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will lead the in‐house software development team, currently consisting of 12 full stack and mobile developers. You will be expected to manage, structure and scale the team in‐line with the needs of the business. We expect to grow the team to 20+ within one year.
As a result of the current size and stage of the business, you will be required to enhance and reinforce our agile development methodology, drive the development roadmap, oversee software releases, and be very hands‐on in whatever way necessary to ensure the timely and efficient delivery of projects.
We’re an early stage SAAS company with a start-up mentality and ambition. We already work with a large number of premium media brands, including broadcasters, telcos, production companies and sports federations, all of whom trust Simplestream to build their Next Generation TV services. We have grown at >30% year on year for the past three years, but are looking to accelerate our growth by deploying our services internationally. We now have four customers in the US, a customer in Asia and are identifying opportunities in Africa. Such presents opportunity to enhance our cloud-based platform with an upgraded geo-distributed infrastructure. We are a large customer of AWS; experience of which is essential.
This role is broad including both backend and frontend systems, and is suited to an experienced, critical and growth‐focussed technologist. The opportunity ahead is significant and rewarding; the incoming candidate will have the chance to shape the future of Simplestream’s award-winning cloud TV platform.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Define the overall technology strategy and budget, leading the architecture and delivery of all software development projects.
- Ensure scalability and robustness of the in-house platform, identifying and driving continuous improvements.
- Ensure company technical challenges are resolved in a timely and cost‐effective manner.
- Work with the Product Team to ensure the in-house App Framework id developed and enhanced with modern coding standards and best practice.
- Hire, direct, coach and inspire a high‐calibre technical team by taking a hands‐on approach where necessary e.g. conducting code reviews and driving release schedule.
- Participate as a key member of the management team to define and deliver business strategy.
- Ensure that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organisation as we scale.
Personal Profile Overview
- TECHNOLOGY EXPERIENCE ‐ A very strong and credible technologist, with a background in hands‐on software development and demonstrable experience of architecting and delivering a video streaming service. Will be Innovative, challenge the norm, and will be immersed in the latest technologies and methodologies.
- GROWTH EXPERIENCE – Will have previously scaled and managed diverse development teams; will know how to plan for future growth and able to operate effectively in a very fast‐paced, constantly changing environment.
- STRATEGY AND EXECUTION – Will demonstrate strategic thinking and the ability to understand the ‘bigger picture’ alongside a willingness and preference for being hands‐on and detail oriented where necessary.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 8+ years of engineering experience, with a proven track record of leadership success in high-growth startup environments.
- A track record of leading and scaling effective tech teams within a high growth environment.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, big-picture thinker, inclusive leader.
Who we are
At Simplestream, we are dedicated to revolutionising the way the world watches TV. We’re an award-winning provider of next-generation TV solutions to some of the largest players in the media industry, including Sony, A+E Networks, AMC, News Corp, QVC, Discovery and UKTV. Our end-to-end solutions are redefining how online video is delivered.
We are a well-funded and growing business with a start-up mentality and seeking to hire the best talent. We offer competitive salaries and a bunch of perks. Our London office is right next to Piccadilly Circus in the heart of Central London and is a fun and friendly environment in which you can further develop your skills and experiences through working on some of the most exciting digital video projects in the industry.
What we value
We are a fast-growing, high-performance team with big ambitions to disrupt the video streaming industry. We strive for excellence in everything we do. Our aim is to work in an Agile and collaborative way to ensure we continue to deliver a great product and service to our customers. We focus on speed, scale, resourcefulness and optimism. We’re solutions oriented and always focus on the outcome and impact of any project or priority. We’re an experienced bunch; innovative and a little unconventional. We debate things passionately. We sometimes disagree on how the world should work, but we all agree on one thing: to revolutionise the way the world watches TV. Which is why we love it here and take pride in every product we create.
What we offer
At Simplestream, we believe in providing a creative working environment where people can grow, both professionally and personally. This is exhibited in our bright, open plan office is in the heart of Piccadilly. We offer a competitive salary and a generous range of benefits:
- Well-deserved rest with 25 days’ holiday a year;
- Access to a wide range of discounts with Perkbox;
- Childcare vouchers, parental leave policy and support;
- Pension contribution;
- Team lunch once a week;
- Friday treats in the office (usually cakes);
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee and snacks (including beer!).
- Regular employee social events (food, drinks and often some kind of activity, such as bowling, table tennis, etc.).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com