Who we are
At Simplestream, we are dedicated to revolutionising the way the world watches TV. We’re an award-winning provider of next-generation TV solutions to some of the largest players in the media industry, including Channel 4, Sony, A+E Networks, AMC, News Corp, QVC, Sky and UKTV. Our end-to-end solutions are redefining how online video is delivered.
We're a well-funded and growing business with a start-up mentality, seeking to hire the best talent. We offer competitive salaries and a bunch of perks. Our London office is right next to Piccadilly Circus in the heart of Central London and is a fun and friendly environment in which you can further develop your skills and experiences through working on some of the most exciting digital video projects in the industry.
How would you contribute
As our Lead PHP Developer, you will be building and developing next-generation rich client media streaming and ad serving applications for a variety of products and customers.
The type of projects you will be involved in will likely include:
- Upgrading and improving our existing video platform with new features and improved optimisations.
- Building new functionality in our White Label client solutions.
- Help build out new cutting edge video workflows.
- Developing new data services and APIs to fuel our services and platforms.
You will be responsible for:
- New feature development on the company’s media and content management platform.
- RESTFUL API development.
- Front-end website development (to consume internal and external API services).
- Bug-fixing and improving on the platforms, databases and server configurations.
- Code reviews and mentoring of other developers.
- Provide operational and technical support for existing applications.
- Proactively test work before handing over to testers/commercial members.
- Provide guidance to others on coding approaches and principles.
- Manage junior members of the team on a day to day basis.
What we value
We are a fast-growing, high-performance team with big ambitions to disrupt the video streaming industry. We strive for excellence in everything we do. Our aim is to work in an Agile and collaborative way to ensure we continue to deliver a great product and service to our customers. We focus on speed, scale, resourcefulness and optimism. We’re solutions oriented and always focus on the outcome and impact of any project or priority. We’re an experienced bunch; innovative and a little unconventional. We debate things passionately. We sometimes disagree on how the world should work, but we all agree on one thing: to revolutionise the way the world watches TV. Which is why we love it here and take pride in every product we create.
This is a crucial role in influencing our future success as we scale. You would have a proven track record of delivering technically complex projects in an agile environment.
Your experience to date will also include :
- Ability to demonstrate that you’re solutions orientated, proactive and take pride in what you do.
- Experience with multiple PHP Frameworks (Zend a plus, Laravel a good to have).
- Strong skills in web services and API development.
- Proficient at working with, adapting and creating REST APIs and versioning.
- Experience working within AWS services.
- Good understanding of server-side caching and performance optimisation.
- Proven experience with manipulating large datasets.
- Git version and control management.
- Comfortable with large scale distributed application architecture (AWS).
- Strong MySQL skills and data querying.
- Experience in line management.
You’ll consider yourself to be:
- A self-starter who is sufficiently motivated to work on their own initiative without needing direction.
- A curious person who is engaged with the vision and feels comfortable in learning about new opportunities and is always eager to improve how we work as a team.
What we offer
At Simplestream, we believe in providing a creative working environment where people can grow, both professionally and personally. This is exhibited in our bright, open plan office is in the heart of Piccadilly. We offer a competitive salary and a generous range of benefits:
- Well-deserved rest with 25 days’ holiday a year;
- Access to a wide range of discounts with Perkbox;
- Childcare vouchers, parental leave policy and support;
- Pension contribution;
- Team lunch once a week;
- Friday treats in the office (usually cakes);
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee and snacks (including beer!).
- Regular employee social events (food, drinks and often some kind of activity, such as bowling, table tennis, etc.).
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.