Simplestream is recruiting for a Head of Architecture to join our Technical Services team based in London.
At Simplestream, we are dedicated to revolutionising the way the world watches TV. We’re an award-winning provider of next-generation TV solutions to some of the largest players in the media industry, including Channel 4, Sony, A+E Networks, AMC, News Corp, QVC, Sky and UKTV. Our end-to-end solutions are redefining how online video is delivered.
We're a well-funded and growing business with a start-up mentality, seeking to hire the best talent. We offer competitive salaries and a bunch of perks. Our London office is right next to Piccadilly Circus in the heart of Central London and is a fun and friendly environment in which you can further develop your skills and experiences through working on some of the most exciting digital video projects in the industry.
Simplestream is commencing a period of technical transformation aimed at supporting ambitious growth targets as we continue to expand our business internationally. A key component of our international expansion is the re-architecture of our core backend systems to support larger customer deployments and introduce new capabilities to ensure Simplestream remains at the forefront of end-to-end OTT service provision.
Our core technology includes:
- Media Manager, our in-house online video, content management and customer identity management platform;
- Content Services, enterprise grade, fully managed live and on demand content services, including downlinking, encoding, packaging, DRM and content delivery;
- App Platform, a highly-customisable and feature-rich frontend app framework which supports web, mobile, tablet and TV, including Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Roku and Smart TV.
Largely written in PHP and heavily integrated with AWS, including AWS Media Services, we are updating our core frameworks and introducing new concepts, with the purpose of gradually upgrading and future-proofing our entire system over time.
As the Head of Architecture, you will be a key member of the Technical Services Management team and will be responsible for setting the strategic direction of Simplestream’s backend platforms as well as overseeing Solution Architecture across the business. You will work closely with the Product Team to ensure interoperability with our frontend apps and with the Commercial Team to provide technical assistance as part of the sales process.
You will also take ownership of key technology vendors and develop an architecture road map for both our software product and our OTT workflows, including Live Streaming, Live2VOD and Video On Demand (VOD). You will be responsible for planning and maintaining our integrations with 3rd-parties and for maintaining good software development standards.
You will have direct access to an expanding team of developers and engineers and will work closely with our Delivery Team to ensure customer projects are delivered on time, within budget and to quality assurance standards.
Are you the right candidate?
You will demonstrate a broad range of experience in Solution Architecture and should be proficient with AWS.
You will have in-depth experience of delivering live and on-demand video to multiple platforms, supported by an excellent knowledge of online video platforms, content management systems and customer identity management.
You should have good writing and communication skills and be comfortable managing internal teams and presenting to customers, either on your own or as part of a group.
Experience of architecture and solution design for pay TV (cable, DSAT or OTT across TVOD/SVOD) is strongly preferred.
A good knowledge of media delivery to mobiles, tablets and Smart TVs is beneficial.
- Architect backend and frontend technical solutions with a focus on video
- Technical authority on key customer projects; through close collaboration with Simplestream’s project delivery teams
- Provide the development team with technical direction, resolve team-level risks, issues, and queries
- Undertake comprehensive documentation of existing and new services
- Outline and manage an internal development roadmap of technical debt projects
- Proactively build proof of concepts and undertake R&D to assist in the further development of Simplestream’s products and services
- Assist the sales team with RFP responses and customer meetings
- Be able to work as part of the team to deliver solutions
- Be hands on when needed, to steer and direct the team in quick resolution of issues
- Review work undertaken to ensure it meets requirements and acceptable standards
- Provide guidance and introduce new methods and processes to deliver more efficiently.
- Ensure Knowledge and skills are shared within the team to reduce single areas of dependency
At Simplestream, we believe in providing a creative working environment where people can grow, both professionally and personally. This is exhibited in our bright, open plan office is in the heart of Piccadilly. We offer a competitive salary and a generous range of benefits:
- Well-deserved rest with 25 days’ holiday a year;
- Access to a wide range of discounts with Perkbox;
- Childcare vouchers, parental leave policy and support;
- Pension contribution;
- Team lunch once a week;
- Friday treats in the office (usually cakes);
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee and snacks (including beer!).
- Regular employee social events (food, drinks and often some kind of activity, such as bowling, table tennis, etc.).