The Head of Software Development will become one of the senior technical authorities within the business and will be responsible for the timely development of all software solutions ensuring that they are built to be robust, scalable, maintainable and performant.
The right person will be experienced in architecting software solutions at a low level (to meet high-level design requirements). Have experience in leading a growing team of highly skilled developers, and be adept at managing developer activities/tasks on a day-to-day basis.
The role will suit someone whose experience and skills allow them to lead by example, who can roll their sleeves up and get stuck in. They will be required to demonstrate and mentor each team member in best practices and approaches to work (coding methods, approaches and tools).
- Architect backend and web frontend technical solutions
- Clear articulation of teams work activities (reducing solution ambiguity, coding errors and developer uncertainly) on a day-to-day basis
- Keep the development team on track and inline with work estimations
- Technical authority on key customer projects; through close collaboration with Simplestream’s project delivery teams
- Provide the development team with technical direction, resolve team-level risks, issues, and queries
- Undertake comprehensive documentation of existing and new services
- Introduce new methods and processes to deliver more efficiently
- Enforce good coding principles and practices
- Outline and manage an internal development roadmap of technical debt projects
- Proactively build proof of concepts and undertake R&D to assist in the further development of Simplestream’s products and services
- Be hands on when needed, to steer and direct the team in quick resolution of issues
- Be able to work as part of the team to deliver solutions
- Review work undertaken to ensure it meets requirements and acceptable coding standards
- Provide guidance and introduce new methods and processes to deliver more efficiently.
- Ensure Knowledge and skills are shared within the team to reduce single areas of dependency
Required Skills and Experience
- 7+ years demonstrable development experience in an object-orientated environment
- Excellent understanding of PHP 5.2+ & MySQL, SQL/Stored Procedures (e.g. MySQL), Nginx or Apache on *nix/BSD
- Passionate about the Zend 1 & 2 Framework, JSON and object-orientated PHP
- Knowledge of web services and preferably the REST principles
- Understanding of server side caching and performance optimisation
- Proven experience with manipulating large datasets
- Client-Server integration and architecture
- Strong knowledge of systems architecture and web technologies, and the ability to design scalable, distributed and real-time platforms
- Strong experience with Amazon Web Services and CDN Distribution
- Experience reviewing code to ensure it is well structured, efficient, scalable, correct, robust
- Experience with Code Control Git/Github
- Experience with streaming, video metadata and ingest would be a distinct
Desired Skills and Experience
- VOD/Catch-Up/StartOver system end to end design
- Knowledge of Streaming tools and formats, FFMPEG, MP4, HLS streams
- Knowledge of web video players, VideoJS, Theo Player, JWPlayer etc.
- VAST tag player integration expertise & experience
- XML Schema Design and EPG ingest
- Smart TV experience
At Simplestream, we are dedicated to revolutionising the way the world watches TV. We’re an award-winning provider of next-generation TV solutions to some of the largest players in the media industry, including Channel 4, Sony, A+E Networks, AMC, News Corp, QVC, Sky and UKTV. Our end-to-end solutions are redefining how online video is delivered.
We're a well-funded and growing business with a start-up mentality, seeking to hire the best talent. We offer competitive salaries and a bunch of perks. Our London office is right next to Piccadilly Circus in the heart of Central London and is a fun and friendly environment in which you can further develop your skills and experiences through working on some of the most exciting digital video projects in the industry.
At Simplestream, we believe in providing a creative working environment where people can grow, both professionally and personally. This is exhibited in our bright, open plan office is in the heart of Piccadilly. We offer a competitive salary and a generous range of benefits:
- Well-deserved rest with 25 days’ holiday a year;
- Access to a wide range of discounts with Perkbox;
- Childcare vouchers, parental leave policy and support;
- Pension contribution;
- Team lunch once a week;
- Friday treats in the office (usually cakes);
- Fresh fruit, tea, coffee and snacks (including beer!).
- Regular employee social events (food, drinks and often some kind of activity, such as bowling, table tennis, etc.).